Sunday, December 13, 2009

"how, lord?": the only way

Christianity is challenging.

And how do we know, Lord, if it is safe to follow you?  Christianity doesn't at all seem to be a "safe" religion. And why should we follow you anyway?

It is a radically different life, the one that Jesus’ proposes to us. In the end, it is the only way to live; in the end, it is the only way to have life – real life; eternal life.

But what does this radically different life look like for us? How are we to live, here and now, as Christians? How, Lord? Too many times have I failed at this, only to learn what I've already learned - and continue to re-learn: this radically different lifestyle is the what I've signed up for.  How difficult, how challenging indeed.

“Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self? (Luke 9:22-24)”

“Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven (Matthew 5:42-44).”

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another (John 13:34-35).”

Lord, these words – your words – are challenging! How much easier it is to not love others – especially enemies - in this world. Too easy, indeed.

I realized something today that I am constantly re-realizing, time and again. These things that Jesus commands of us; this lifestyle – the very path that leads to life, the one and only way – is impossible. Christianity is challenging, because it causes us to realize that it is impossible.We can't do it.

We need you, Lord. You knew it all along: We cannot follow you or live like you unless you give us yourself - which you have done! We cannot do anything you ask us, unless we have you do it in and through us. “You duped me, O Lord, and you let me be duped (Jeremiah 20:7).” 

And these words especially, Lord, pierce my heart:

“You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned (Matthew 12:34-37).”

Thank you, Lord, for doing what we cannot do, for loving how we cannot love.  It is you - always and only you - who makes this radically different lifestyle possible.  It is you, living this life in and through us.

In the end, there is no other way (cf. John 14:6).

1 comment:

  1. How many times have I not been a Christian? Many: too many. And how much more do I need Jesus? More: much more.

    ReplyDelete